Sunday 19 April 2009

All the gear and no idea...

On Saturday morning I set off with Cal out to the Surrey Hills for a spot of cycling. It was a cold but fresh morning - beautiful cycling weather.

It was a definate case of 'all the gear and no idea' I am afraid. I borrowed Josh's shoes, shorts, leggings, top and waterproof. Cal gave me gloves, a helmet and THE BARRACHI. For those who don't know what a BARRACHI is, it is a super snazzy bike with a light frame and clips on the pedals.

Unfortunately I cannot say I used it to the best of its' ability - I spent the first hour very nervous about the fact that my feet were clipped onto the pedals and despite not forgetting that fact for a second whilst going along, as soon as we stopped I forgot it instantly and almost fell off everytime as I forgot to disengage my feet correctly.

I got the hang of the pedals further in but think that I am just a snail cyclist and although I could keep going up all the hills, my pace was VERY slow and I think Cal got more than a little frustrated! I also rode into a few ditches because the wheels are really skinny. Not sure how that is an explanation for veering into ditches but I'm sure it had something to do with it. Plus my chain hopped off the cog thinggys twice too - I think it's fair to say I am not a natural cyclist!!

BUT - we ended up doing 32 miles with a few hills involved in a bit under 3 hours so a good mornings exercise. Rather annoyingly, my bike's chain was REALLY noisy whenever I free wheeled so every time I wasn't pedalling Cal knew what I was doing. More than once he told me to stop being lazy and get on with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment